Thursday, September 2, 2010

Mentoring?

I met with my "mentee" today who left teaching elementary students to teach Computer Applications to middle school kids. This is a passionate teacher. A teacher who had energy with her kids and kept the room active when she taught elementary. She got involved in committees about technology and innovation. She was our district SMART trainer and she really knows her stuff about teaching with technology.

She had asked me to come observe and make suggestions. Within 15 minutes, I had filled up a page.

The concept of "this is the way we've always done it" was made clear viewing students learn about Output Devices using a workbook and a highlighter. She showed me the stack of resources left to her with notes about how the previous teacher had taught.

They managed to get through the highlighting portion of class when she took them on a journey to Glogster. This is one of those tools she excels at and it really was great for the kids to get their hands on something productive. But she spent the rest of the time answering raised hands about "how do I....".

I left my notes so I am drawing from memory, but this is what I would say to ANY Computer Lab teachers:


1. Your room is not designed like other classrooms. You are competing with computers for the kids attention. Each day, you will lose if you keep competing with the computer. Because your room is not like other classrooms, you need to let go of teaching as they do in other classrooms.

2. Throw away books and workbooks. Keep the teacher edition for yourself as a guide ONLY.

3. Instead of reading vocabulary words, use Google News to look up those words and their relevance TODAY. Let the kids learn about the products involving those words and then define them as they learn about the relevance of that product or discovery. Today's lesson was on resolution. Yesterday Apple introduced new devices that have a revolutionary type of resolution. Take the lesson further to let them predict future resolution type devices.

4. Create projects based on the discoveries of the group. Based on what concepts they learn, create projects where they apply the technology tools. Print these or post online. These will be the reference points for reviewing for tests and future projects.

5. Create a safe place. You have to tell them that your room is safe to ask questions of their neighbors, to collaborate and to click around and explore. You have to tell them this. You have to educate them that they don't have to ask YOU for help.

When introducing a new concept or lesson, setup a timer if you need to and give them 10 minutes to click around and discover without asking for help. Let them fail and start over. Then discuss as a group what they discovered, what they liked, what they didn't like and HOW THEY WOULD MAKE A PROGRAM or TOOL BETTER.

6. Not all lessons need to be done in a computer lab. Reserve classrooms during conference times, use a conference room or multi-purpose lab to go over expectations on projects where you can sit at eye-level with the students. Collaborate with them about projects and your expectations on time and production.



I left her my notes and planned a visit in the future where I can help her with a lesson. I will be in there all day with her watching, tweaking and then helping her reflect on ways to improve.

I love this. This is the job I would love to do each day. This isn't about a specific software or device. This is about the technology of innovative education. This is about pushing the boundaries and creating an environment of collaborative work between teacher and student. I have been vocal to this teacher about my jealousy that she is getting to teach this class.

I can tell she is worried, scared, even frightened about teaching something so different. But it is that energetic fear that makes it the most fun. Wouldn't you agree? She is excited about the possibilities and I can't wait to see the change!

I sure hope the principal doesn't freak out. ;p

No comments:

Post a Comment